Monday, June 1, 2009

On the Base

John's at work, and I'm doing my first blog from the Beach Hotel, on base. The room is snug. That means that, although it's small, it has all we need. California weather is at its finest from my point of view. They call it June gloom, but I love the fog and damp. My body complains, but my brain loves it for some strange reason. 

Tonight we'll have dinner with Mom and catch up on the last several months of her life. Of course, we speak on the phone all the time, but it's never the same. After dinner, we'll run by the grocery store for bread and a few other items that wouldn't pack easily. Most of the food we'll eat this week was brought along to save money, food being much cheaper in Colorado. I just hate squashed bread. Being on base allows John to come to the room for lunch. On Tuesdays and Fridays, though, I have the car and pack him a lunch, so I'll get the bread tonight and make sure he's got enough food to enjoy during the day. Then tomorrow I'll stop by to visit Lisa in the morning, spend some time at the library, and then play bingo in the afternoon with Mom.

Our visit with Jean and Dave Roscoe this weekend was great. It's been too long since we've had time to really sit down and reminisce with them about when our kids were young together. We've known each other about 25 years, so there's a lot of fun and history to share when we have time. John and Dave spent yesterday out on Dave's boat on Lake Casitas. They didn't catch anything, and had a great time doing it.

Ben called this morning before we left their house, telling us of their trip to Belgium. It sounds like they had a wonderful weekend. It's always wonderful when a young family can have such great adventures together. Their kids might be too young to really remember riding in a a horse drawn carriage in Brussels or Bruges, or wherever that was, but they'll never forget that their family always had fun together. Now that Ben's done with his Master's Degree, he has more time for fun. The evenings of studying and weekends of classes are behind them. If I sound proud, well, I just can't help it. It's not so much what he's done as that he's done so much without compromising his priorities.

Time to finish emptying suitcases into drawers for the week ahead. That's always so much fun, but I've procrastinated enough. 

No comments: