Thursday, May 14, 2009

While My Sister Sleeps

It's a book. I've been accused of reading too much. Moderation is something I believe in for most areas of my life, but books don't seem to count. I'm not moderate in my reading. I need to be reading. I read a book today. If it hadn't been so great, it would have taken me a couple of days to finish it, but it was easier reading than the last book I read this week, and still gave me plenty to think about. Both books were about sisters.

The first book, My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult, was very heavy, and I felt like I'd been dragged behind a truck by the time I finished it. It was a moral dilemma, and I knew which side I was on, but could sympathize at times with the other side. Only at times, however. 

Today's book, While My Sister Sleeps, was written by Barbara Delinsky. Although it's also a drama based on a tragic set of circumstances, it's not as dismal, and the resolution doesn't leave a person with their guts hanging out. That's always a relief to me. Maybe I'm too fond of the "Hollywood ending," but I've never appreciated having my hero's plane go down in the last scene. Even when it's the only appropriate ending, it hurts too much.

So I'd suggest that if you'd like to read an extremely well written novel about family dynamics under crisis, in a family that's far from perfect but based on love, give this one a try. I do believe this book is a keeper. The characters are more than they first appear to be, and Delinsky manages some touchy subjects very well. She's obviously done her research. 

No comments: