Friday, May 8, 2009

The Simple Things

It's truly the simple things in life that surprise you with the strongest emotional impact. I realize that Mother's Day is coming up this week, and I expect there will be some surprises and special treatment. On a daily basis, I have very little to complain about anyway. But today was not Mother's Day. Or was it? It also wasn't Father's Day or Grandparent's Day. But it felt like it.

John walked out for the mail and came back inside with a big grin on his face. He stuck out a post card from the Netherlands with little two year old Ashley's careful printing of "I love you" on it. I imagine Ruth sitting there helping her with the letters, thinking of us. 

Today was not a special day on the calendar, but a special day because she made it one. These things happen just often enough to be surprises, to let us know we're thought of, cared about. How do you explain how much that means? Ben brought a good woman into our family. 

No comments: