Thursday, March 26, 2009

Yes, I Prayed For This Snow

If you grew up enjoying four seasons, then living in  Southern California can seem like paying an unending penance for something you can't remember doing. We spent thirty some years there. Our sons, who were all born there, never understood why their dad and I didn't love having a whole year that seemed vaguely Summer, but each year I hated it more.

As this March started coming to an end, I found myself praying for one more snowfall, just so I could sit and watch, enjoy the luxury of the chill, knowing I didn't have to go anywhere or do anything. I prayed, and I dreamed that I would watch the deer in the yard as my final snowfall of the season accumulated across our property. 

It began last night, and I've been smiling all day. It's supposed to keep going through the night, and on into tomorrow. They're calling the part that's coming later tonight a "blizzard." I'm going to try to sit up and watch. I have the deck light turned on now. And you know what? I don't have anywhere to go until Saturday evening. The deer come to us. Of course, the newspaper might not make it up here in the morning. Worse things happen to people everywhere. It won't effect my smile. 

I sure got what I asked for. Now I can start preparing mentally for baseball season.

3 comments:

sherrie said...

Is there a fifth Kathleen, the sports fan?

Kathleen said...

...and the reader, and the traveler, and the mother/grandmother... I guess there are a bunch of me. If we could all sit down together in one room, we'd all laugh at each other.

Marrianne said...

That is a beautiful picture! No wonder why you love living there. I would like to experience the four seasons sometime . . . as long as I don't have to schlep kids around in a blizzard!