Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Patriotic, Not Political, 912 Tea Parties

National Tax Day Tea Parties are planned across the country for April 15th this year. They're non-partisan, or at least they're supposed to be. This is not the time to criticize a political party or condemn the president. It is time to stand together and remind those in power just who put them there. It is time to gather together and peacefully make our voices heard.

Actually, tea parties have been springing up across the land for a couple of months now. These groups of people gather to demand proper representation by those they've elected. Some carry signs that are clever; some are angry. There are those who use the venue for their own political agendas, but so far they've been in the minority. I pray it'll stay that way on tax day here.

For my friends in Southern California, I've made it easy. You can contact Carolyn, 805.262.2477. The Thousand Oaks Tea Party will be at the Thousand Oaks main Post office, T.O. Blvd., 12 noon to two p.m.

Here in Loveland, Colorado, the tea party is from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. at the intersection of Highways 287 and 34.

You can look up your city in any State on this Tea Party web site. Get other information about the tea parties on this site.

It's easy to sit home and let others get involved. If you need to do that, it's certainly your choice. It's still a free country. I stayed away from the protests and marches in the 60s, due to mixed emotions about the war. Everyone needs to follow their own conscience.

I'm going to make a sign. If the tea party goes beyond patriotic into political, I'll take it and go home, but I'd like to share with you what it's going to say, so you'll know what my priorities are, and why it's important to me that I go.

The sign will have two sides. One side will have a quote from George Washington. “
Government ... Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.” The other side will be my favorite quote from Benjamin Franklin. “Those who ... give up ... liberty to purchase ... safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”

One final word. They call these Tea Parties "912" Tea Parties. Do you remember how you felt the day after 9/11? Do you remember saying, "We will never forget?" That's the point of these rallies. We're trying to come together as a country, the way we did on 9/12. Together, we are strong and capable. We can help each other, as long as we're free.

Now I'll just trot my soap box back out to the garage.

4 comments:

Jim said...

Well Kathleen, not sure it was smart to let family know about your blog...
I like your take on the Tea Party, it shouldn't be partisan but it should be a wake-up call to our elected representatives who they actually represent and that they've really crossed the line this past year. I've been studying my history lately and find it absolutely fascinating. If you ever get the chance, check out restoringamerica.com by the Reverend Peter Marshall. I've been sharing some of what I've learned with mom and she's really enjoyed it.

Kathleen said...

Hey, Jim. Aren't you glad we're not as dumb as we look?

Marrianne said...

Thanks for the info. I've joined the 912 Project and like the patriotism, not politics.

Jim said...

Dumb as we look? It's taken me years to perfect that special look... that, and a healthy dose of genetics.