Sunday, January 17, 2010

Impossibly Easy Cheeseburger Pie - It's Great

As requested by a reader, here's the Cheeseburger pie my husband and I enjoy so much. This is the basic, original recipe, although I admit to taking liberties with it if I have exotic cheeses or special ingredients in the house. I've been known to make it with chicken and jarlsberg or swiss with green onions, but then (of course) I don't call it Cheeseburger Pie. Bisquick is the staple I keep in that "extra" canister supposedly made for tea. I keep my tea in tea boxes, liking flavors and not wanting to mix them up in a canister.

Although I have to idea who wrote the original recipe for this amazing and impossibly easy family favorite meal, I wish I did so I could personally give them my thanks. And Mason Canyon? Thanks for asking for it here.

Impossible Cheeseburger Pie

Ingredients:
1 lbs lean ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (4 oz)
3/4 cup Original Bisquick® mix
1 1/2 cup milk
3 eggs

Directions:
Heat oven to 400°F. Spray 9-inch pie pan with cooking spray.
In large skillet, sauté onion until transparent, then add beef and cook until thoroughly done, salting as desired. Drain thoroughly.
Empty into pie pan and cover with cheese.
In small bowl, whisk remaining ingredients until well blended. Pour over other ingredients in pie pan.
Bake about 25 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
High Altitude (3500-6500 ft): Bake an extra five to ten minutes.

7 comments:

Mason Canyon said...

This sounds wonderful. Thank you so much for posting this. I'm in luck and have all those ingredients on hand. I know what we're eating tomorrow night. Thanks again for sharing.

Kathleen said...

I hope you enjoy it as much as we do. It reheats really great, too.

Anonymous said...

That sounds good, and like Mason said, I think I also have the ingredients on hand. I'll have to bookmark this.

Mason Canyon said...

Kathleen, just wanted to let you know the Cheeseburger Pie recipe was a hit tonight. I followed your recipe with only a couple of changes.

I added a little garlic salt. Sometimes I think we eat garlic salt on everything except ice cream. :)
The other thing was what I cooked mine in. I had all the ingredients and thought I had a brand new pie pan, but I think the kitchen fairies made off with it. So I used a cast iron skillet instead. It worked great.

We had a little leftover, so into to the refrig it went for later.

Thanks again for this wonderfully delicious recipe.

Kathleen said...

That's the blessing of this recipe, Mason. You can make so many changes, and it just keeps on getting better. I've done some pretty strange things with the basic formula. I've even made desserts with it. Just substitute fruit, sugars and nuts for the meat, cheese and onions. It's like a custard. I play with the recipe a lot.

Mason Canyon said...

The idea of changing it to a dessert sounds great. I'll have to try that too.

Patricia Stoltey said...

I'm going to try this -- looks yummy!