Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Scott Brown Victory: Bravo, Massachusetts

I'm not from Massachusetts. I really wasn't following their senatorial race, although I was aware of it. I remember when John Kennedy held that seat. I have friends who live in that jurisdiction. (Hi, Kelley, Marty, Heather...) We never discussed it.

Last night I thought it was an important message to Congress when I heard the results. The people of Massachusetts didn't want the status quo. They wanted their voices to be heard. I thought I'd tune in and listen to a little of this Scott Brown's acceptance speech. I'm so glad I did. Except for the part where I thought he was about to auction off his daughters, I was beyond impressed. (If I had been his wife or one of his daughters, he would have found a sock in his mouth, no matter how funny he thought he was being, new senator or not.)

So what did this "Tea Party Republican" appreciate so much about his speech? I'm going to give you bullet points, quoted right from the speech of the things that made me really feel hopeful for the future.
  • The independent majority has delivered a great victory... While the honor is mine, this Senate seat belongs to no one person and no political party - and as I have said before, and you said loud and clear today, it is the people’s seat.
  • One thing is clear, voters do not want the trillion-dollar health care bill that is being forced on the American people. This bill is not being debated openly and fairly. It will raise taxes, hurt Medicare, destroy jobs, and run our nation deeper into debt. It is not in the interest of our state or country - we can do better.
  • I will work in the Senate to put government back on the side of people who create jobs, and the millions of people who need jobs - and as President John F. Kennedy taught us, that starts with an across the board tax cut for individuals and businesses that will create jobs and stimulate the economy.
  • I will work in the Senate to defend our nation’s interests and to keep our military second to none. As a lieutenant colonel and 30-year member of the Army National Guard, I will keep faith with all who serve, and get our veterans all the benefits they deserve.
  • And let me say this, with respect to those who wish to harm us, I believe that our Constitution and laws exist to protect this nation - they do not grant rights and privileges to enemies in wartime. In dealing with terrorists, our tax dollars should pay for weapons to stop them, not lawyers to defend them.
  • Raising taxes, taking over our health care, and giving new rights to terrorists is the wrong agenda for our country. What I've heard again and again on the campaign trail, is that our political leaders have grown aloof from the people, impatient with dissent, and comfortable in the back room making deals. And we can do better.
  • Across this country, we are united by basic convictions that need only to be clearly stated to win a majority. If anyone still doubts that, in the election season just beginning, let them look to Massachusetts. Fellow citizens, what happened in this election can happen all over America. We are witnesses, you and I, to the truth that ideals, hard work, and strength of heart can overcome any political machine.
  • As I proudly take up the duty you have given me, I promise to do my best for Massachusetts and America every time the roll is called. I go to Washington as the representative of no faction or interest, answering only to my conscience and to the people... I’m Scott Brown, I'm from Wrentham, I drive a truck, and I am nobody’s senator but yours.
And he said it all without a teleprompter. If you want to actually hear his delivery, I've made it easy for you.

2 comments:

sherrie said...

Hear, hear! I agree with everything you said. I was just about to write him off with the daughter faux pas, but I was really glad I kept listening. But what is the thing with his truck? I found out what kind of truck he drives and how many miles it has on it, but why was is such a big deal? Any ideas?

Kathleen said...

While he was driving his old truck around the commonwealth meeting the people, his opponent was flying to Washington D.C. to get campaign money from lobbyists and special interests. I think that had a lot to do with it.