Friday, August 7, 2009

The Best Misaddressed Email I Ever Got

I'm not the only person in the United States to have my exact name. I learned that a few months ago in a most bizarre and wonderful way. I received an email from a young man writing to his sister, saying he had arrived safely in Afghanistan, and was going to be lucky enough to be able to stay in email contact. He asked her to remember to keep him and his buddies in her prayers and please remember to email once in awhile.

What he didn't realize was that her name and mine were the same, but I was not the sister he thought he was writing to. I answered that letter and told him that I would be delighted to write to him, keep him and his buddies in my prayers and remember their sacrifices while they helped safeguard my freedom. I asked if he had a better email address for his sister, and let him know a little bit about me.

We've since been writing back and forth. It's been almost like having another son. His sister even sent me an email. I got a note from him tonight. I want to share part of it with you... "I really appreciate the email. It has been hard the last several weeks as we are losing three to four Marines a week here. I never thought I would be in a place with such an extreme difference in climate. Where we are in Kandahar it is averaging 110 plus degrees."

He went on to let me to know how much all of them appreciate the notes and letters people send. It made me start thinking about wrong numbers and misdirected email. How easy it would have been to just throw it out. I'm so very glad I didn't.

No comments: