Thursday, September 11, 2008

The Eagle Has Landed

We arrived at the posh hotel in Denver where the 25th Annual Rocky Mountain Fiction Writers "Colorado Gold Conference" will take place. John got me all set up, including the computer, printer and portable plug-in cooler. I asked if he was sorry not to be staying, since it was such a fancy hotel. He said, "No!" Then he drove off. I'm styling solo. 

I sat in the room for a couple of hours. The first hour I watched a History Channel special on 9.11. There's another one coming on in a few minutes. After that I spent an hour trying to figure out how to turn the cell phone ringer back on. I finally looked up the manual online and worked it out. It was on, as John kept saying, but the volume was set to zero. No wonder I couldn't hear it. He called three times while I was searching the 85 pages for the hidden information. My next phone will be one of those senior citizen specials. Point and shoot.

Not long ago I ventured down to the Club Lounge, only available for "Elite Members." I didn't realize I fell into that category until I checked in today. Free hors d'oeuvres and soda, plus a bar (not free but reasonable). They had really great food. Sautéed vegetables, meatballs, big blocks of fancy cheeses and french breads, juicy grapes... heaven. Free breakfast begins at 6 a.m. Whoopee. I hope it lives up to tonight's fare. I didn't even stay for the desserts tonight. They were coming out in another half hour or so, she said. I was afraid to find out what it might be. Lucky me. This is only available to the top three floors.

Maybe I'll go stand on the balcony and yell at the traffic twelve floors below. Perhaps it'll be necessary to sleep with headphones on tonight. I'm used to crickets, not vehicles.

No comments: