Saturday, August 30, 2008

Welcome Advice

When you let people critique your writing, it's impossible to tell what you're going to hear. One person will call it lyrical, while the next will ask if you expect to be paid by the word. 

Today I got the most interesting critique ever. I'm still smiling. This will be my shortest blog to date, since the entire purpose is to pass on advice. It was given to me by someone who reviewed the two most recent chapters I posted to my online group.

The concern of the person giving the critique was that I should not take comments of people too seriously, and forget whose novel it was. The final remark is the one I plan to enlarge and hang near my computer, where I can see it while I write and edit.

"No rule should be followed off a cliff." Can I hear a loud "Amen?"

No comments: