Saturday, July 19, 2008

Insight: Art In Other Forms

Today I was sent a link to a YouTube video clip of a painter in action. You Tube is a site I never visit unless someone sends me a clip, but I'm always happy to be sent there. I just don't usually 'play' on web sites. Before I give you the link, let me give you the insight I received from it.

This guy paints the same way I hope I'm writing. First off, it's just pouring out of him. Also, he concentrates on one part of the canvas, then suddenly rushes to another part that he's already worked on to add detail.

As the picture progresses upon his canvas, it tells a story which becomes ever more clear, yet more complex. When he is finished, although the story is complete, there is just enough room for the viewer to put their own emotions into t
he canvas along with those of the artist. His are obvious. They show while you watch him work, and they show in the finished product, but there still remains room for those of the viewer.

I know that's a lot to expect from a first novel. However, as Robert Browning said, "A man's reach must exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?"

Now that I made you read all that, here's your link.

No comments: