Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Climate Change: The Other Side of the Story

Don't scream and say I hate the environment. I love the trees, flowers, plants and animals. I lived in Churchill, Manitoba, land of the polar bears, back in the fifties. They weren't endangered then, and way up there on the Hudson Bay, those of us who were still little kids were warned about how to behave to stay out of their territory, leaving both them and ourselves safe. I grew up in a family of campers. As a military family, we rarely had enough money to do more than camp out, but we saw most of this country and much of Canada as well. The slogan "Take only photos; leave only footprints" was engrained in us as a way of life, much more than a catch phrase.

Still, the political frenzy and back room dealing of the green movement has made me uneasy for quite a while. While I've been doing my part in recycling and conservation, some things haven't made sense. I've done enough research to understand that anyone who really believed in global warming as a quickly approaching catastrophe would bite the bullet and become a vegetarian. My doubts remained. Statistics were too strong against the fear tactics being used. Then the lies began to be uncovered, but still there was little to point to and say, "You see? Here's something I can really lean my suspicions on."

Last week my sister in law sent me a copy of the following video. It's fairly long—it needs to be. It's really great, though. If you find it as interesting as I did, there are several more on YouTube by John Coleman, meteorologist and founder of The Weather Channel. I learned enough to put my mind further at ease. I hope it helps.


2 comments:

Patricia Stoltey said...

I'm at the NCW studio with a critique group going on in the main room, so I'll have to watch this at home later. Thanks for posting it here, Kathleen. You make life so much easier for your visitors.

Kathleen said...

Patricia—What a wonderful thing to say. Come to think of it, it's a wonderful thing to hear, too... I've been enjoying your blog as well.