Friday, April 3, 2009

Writer's Conference, Day 1

It's always difficult to decide which is more valuable during a conference of this calibre, the actual topics you learn, or the inspiration received from the people you meet. Put those on a scale, and they'll probably balance. 

Since I usually have to force myself to initiate contacts, being friendly with people I don't know, the first day of any workshop is generally stressful. Today didn't prove to be. The group seemed more intimate for some reason I couldn't determine. Whatever it is, this had to be the best first day of any experience I've had. 

Not knowing anyone is always difficult, and I've been there too often, since we moved so much growing up. I'm pretty sensitive about being the new kid. Today, however, it seemed not to matter, almost as if everyone knew me. Silly? Sure, but that's the way it felt, so I had a great day. 

I never even made it through the seven dwarves. That's something I do at things like this. I mentally tick them off on my fingers: Bashful, Dopey, Grumpy, Doc (when I'm trying to be smart), Sneezy, Sleepy, and Happy. If I can go right from Bashful to Happy, I'm doing great. Today I only went through three of them: Dopey, Sleepy and Happy. That's good in my book.

No comments: